Thursday, March 26, 2015

Your Guide to Easy and Affordable Custom Shelves


When you're living in a studio, TV placement is everything. You want it to be equally visible from the sofa and bed without making it the focal point of the room. You also want your media center to address the problem that every small space has — a lack of storage.


As a studio dweller, I know this struggle firsthand. I shopped tirelessly for a media console that would fit my style, budget, and height specifications, but I couldn't find one that addressed all three. So I took matters into my own hands and decided to DIY a custom shelving unit (trust me, it sounds much more complicated and expensive than it actually is!). The entire project set me back about $150 and took only a couple of hours to put together (give or take the 30 minutes it took for my wood planks to dry). The best part? I got everything in one shopping trip to Home Depot and even had them cut the wood planks for me.


Looking to do something similar in your home? Here's how to do it . . .



  • 3 twin track 70-inch uprights

  • 14 brackets

  • 5 pieces of inexpensive knotty pine shelf material (3 long, 1 medium, and 1 short)

  • Clear wood sealant

  • Wood stain

  • A paint brush


Once you have your materials, you can get started!





from Copy of RSS feed creator http://ift.tt/1upALJp



Advertisement



Sourced by "Home Hacks". Scouring and supporting the art of DIY home projects by sharing links and information provided by numerous active reputable DIY veterans and company's. Any projects you start please be of proper age, follow all required safety measures, and use the required protective equipment when handling any chemicals, power tools, or during any construction project. If you need advice regarding your next project we suggest visiting Contractor Talk.