Friday, September 23, 2016

Design Debate: Is It OK to Hang the TV Over the Fireplace? (14 photos)

Alternatives: “Unless you are building a home theater, there are always going to be some seats that view the TV from an oblique angle anyway,” Leicester says. “There are a lot of activities that happen in a typical family room besides TV watching — conversations, entertaining, reading, kids’ play areas — and they all need to be given consideration in the space planning.

“My preference is to place the TV to one side of the fireplace or on another wall entirely, in or on top of a media cabinet. I do plan at least three to four seats from which it can be viewed comfortably, which works for most families. Sometimes I’ll recommend swivel chairs or furniture on casters to give the homeowners some added flexibility.

“I had one client with a traditional Craftsman home, a beautiful antique fireplace mantel, and most of the walls taken up with doors, arched doorways and windows. There was actually no good place to put the television, so I designed a cabinet [pictured] that acts as a room divider. It created a distinct entry area at the foyer, and houses the TV and components on the opposite side. It puts the television at a comfortable height and is a beautiful piece of furniture in its own right. That was a win-win.

“As for mounting hardware that swings screens downward, I haven’t used these products myself,” she says. “While they seem to solve the neck strain issue, they make the aesthetic problem even worse. Now you’re blocking the fireplace and looking at mounting brackets and cords. No thanks.”

What not to do: “I’d never recommend removing the fireplace because I think that would be a huge risk in terms of resale value. I have redesigned several fireplaces for clients who insisted on putting the TV over the mantel, and in those cases, I’ve lowered the mantel as much as possible. In my own home, we’ve chosen to put the televisions in other rooms entirely, and that works for us, but I know it’s not a solution for everyone.”


from Houzz http://ift.tt/2cNEuMe


Advertisement

Sourced by "Home Hacks". Scouring and supporting the art of DIY home projects by sharing links and information provided by numerous active reputable DIY veterans and company's. Any projects you start please be of proper age, follow all required safety measures, and use the required protective equipment when handling any chemicals, power tools, or during any construction project. If you need advice regarding your next project we suggest visiting Contractor Talk.